THESE SHEEP CASINGS ARE PERFECT FOR SNACK STICKS / BIERSTICKS OR SKINNY SAUSAGES.
Casings are the hidden superhero of your sausage. Your sausage casing is what keeps all your carefully chosen ingredients, flavours and juices in and it also dictates the texture and eating experience of your final sausage.
We believe sheep casings are the best. They are less prone to chewiness than hog casings and have an amazing ‘semipermeable’ wall which breathes, meaning your beautiful BBQ/cooking/smoking flavors can permeate the casing and infuse your sausage meat.
They also naturally shrink with your sausage meat as you smoke or cure your sausages, which means no air pockets or separation between your sausage and your casing.
The end result is a sausage with better flavor and juiciness, great sizzle and the much prized sausage “pop” that you can only get from a sausage made with a natural casing.
- PRODUCT FORMAT: 10m total. 1 x 10m length of natural, edible sheep casings
- PRODUCT SIZE: A Grade Uniform 19-21mm. Your sausage will be 19-21mm once casing filled/stuffed. These casings are the perfect size for meat sticks /snack sticks / biersticks / beef sticks or salami sticks. For details on how casing sizing works follow this link.
- PRE-TUBED: Our casings are pre-threaded onto hard tubes for easy transfer to your sausage maker nozzle and no annoying knots or tangles (please don't remove them from the tube).
- SAUSAGE CALCULATOR: As a guide, with this 10m product you can make a total of approximately 2.5kg of sausages or approx 55 x 60g sausages. Check out our sausage making/casings calculator here.
- NO 'SHORTS': We are proud to have a no 'shorts' guarantee. 'Shorts' are the short casing off-cuts that could only be 1m long that some manufacturers cheekily package up and sell off to home sausage makers.
- BEST BEFORE: Your product will have a minimum best before life of 6 months. It will last this full time, even if opened, as long as our usage and storage instructions are followed.
- HALAL: All our sheep casings are independently audited and certified Halal by the New Zealand Islamic Development Trust. We have a dedicated facility that only processes sheep casings. Our hog casings are processed in a separate facility.
- SHIPPING: We offer nationwide express shipping for a flat fee of $5. Rural delivery $6. Free shipping for all orders over $100. See full shipping info & policy here.
Our 19-21mm natural sheep casings are the best casings you can get for dried/cured meat sticks /snack sticks / biersticks / beef sticks or salami sticks. Not only are they the perfect size, they also have an amazing ‘semipermeable’ wall which breathes, meaning your beautiful BBQ/cooking/smoking flavours can permeate the casing and infuse your sausage meat, giving you a tastier, more flavoursome sausage. Because they are made by mother nature, sheep casings also naturally shrinks and binds to your sausage meat as you smoke or cure your sausages, which means no air pockets or separation between your sausage and your casing.
19-21mm sheep casings are also traditionally used for skinnier fresh sausages such as chipolatas, breakfast sausages, frankfurters, hot dogs or cabanossi. Can be used for pork, venison, lamb, beef, chicken or halal sausages.
Looking for a big, fat & plump sausage? Try our natural hog casings.
- USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE CASINGS FROM TUBES.
1) Rinse casings thoroughly on tubes under cold tap.
2) Soak casings on tubes in warm water (99F - body temp) for minimum of 45mins or in cold water overnight.
3) Transfer from tube to sausage stuffing horn. Please use a 10-12mm nozzle on your sausage stuffer.
- STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: Please store in refrigerator. Once opened generously resalt any left over casings. Wrap in clingfilm and store airtight in our resealable pouch provided or in a container up to the best before date.
- SHELF LIFE: Our product has a 12 month shelf life from date of manufacturer. It will last it's full shelf life, even if product is opened as long as storage instructions are followed.