19 Jun Bratwurst Sausage
This just may be the best Bratwurst you’ve ever had.
- 2.27kg pork
- 50g salt
- 7g white pepper
- 7g ground ginger
- 7g nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- Natural casings
- Dice the pork into small, 2.5cm cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients except for the eggs and cream together with your hands until evenly distributed.
- Grind the mixture two times through a grinder on a medium die
- After each run through the grinder, use your hands to mix the ingredients together and fully emulsify the loose sausage. (The mixture should be sticky and well combined, and should stick to your hand when it’s turned upside down.)
- Using your hands, add the cream and eggs. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, until the mixture becomes sticky and emulsified. (The sausage should stick to your hand when it’s turned upside down.)
- Add the loose sausage mixture to the stuffer, pack it down to remove all of the air pockets.
- Stuff the sausage into the casings and twist links 3 to 455g. (Generally, each sausage should be 13 to 15cm long.)
- Put the twisted links in the refrigerator, uncovered, and chill overnight to dry out the casings.
- Snip the sausages at the seams to separate them into links.